ISSN : 1226-4946(Print)
ISSN : 2288-5412(Online)
The Yeats Journal of Korea Vol.57 pp.65-80
DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.14354/yjk.2018.57.65

W. B. Yeats and Tragedy

Young Suck Rhee, Lianggong Luo
Department of English, Hanyang University

Abstract

This paper makes an attempt to trace the trajectory of how the aesthetics of Yeats’s poetic work, tragedy and tragic joy, has traveled in his long career. But, because it’s a complex and big question, it would not be possible to treat it here in full. Instead, I would point to a possibility of further studies on this subject. The best treatment that’s been published so far on this topic, though it covers the early 1900s, from 1902 to 10, is Frances Nesbitt Oppel’s Mask and Tragedy (1987) and Richard Ellmann’s Identity of Yeats (1954) that makes a brief yet early and clear judgment of Yeats’s tragedy, the latter book making a difference between Yeats and Friedrich Nietzsche. And Helen Vendler’s Yeats and Lyric Form (2007) and Majorie Perloff’s Rhyme and Meaning in the Poetry of Yeats (1970) are of great importance. But the last two books by Vendler and Perloff do not treat tragedy at all; I have chosen them to make an assumption of Yeats’s ideal form of work, or the architectonic structure of Yeats’s lyric poetry, connecting tragedy and poetic form. I call attention to two other scholars: Jahan Ramazani who reads Yeats’s elegies and Terence Brown who introduces Yeats’s “A General Introduction for My Work” and offers how tragic joy is to become Yeats’s new aesthetics.

W. B. 예이츠와 비극

이영석, 리양공 루오
한양대학교 영문과 교수, 화중사범대학 영문과교수

초록

본 논문은 예이츠의 긴 시적 인생에서 작품의 미학인 비극과 비극적 기쁨이 어떻게 궤적을 남기는지 추적하려는 시도이다. 그러나 이것은 복잡하고 큰 질문 이라서, 이 논문에서 다 다룰 수는 없고 미래의 이에 대한 연구의 가능성을 제시하려 한다. 이 주제에 대한 지금까지 간행된 것 중에서 가장 잘된 책은, 1900년대 초, 즉 1902년부터 10년까지 다룬 프란시스 네스빗 오펠의 『마스크와 비극』(1987년 간행)과 예이츠의 비극을 초창기에 명확한 판단을 한 러처드 엘만의 『예이츠의 진면목』(1954년 간행)인데 이 후자의 책은 예이츠와 프리드리히 니체와 차이점을 지적한다. 그리고 헬렌 벤들러의 『예이츠와 서정적 형식』(2007년 간행)과 마조리 퍼로프의 『예이츠 시의 라임과 의미』(1970년 간행)는 중요한 책이다. 그러나 벤들러와 퍼로프의 책은 비극을 다루지는 않지만, 비극과 시적 형식을 연결하고 예이츠의 서정시의 건축적 구조, 즉 예 이츠의 이상적 시형식을 가정하는 데 필요하다. 그리고 두 학자를 더 지명한다. 자한 라마자니는 예이츠의 만가를 다루고 테렌스 브라운은 예이츠의 『나의 작품세계에 대한 소개』를 소개하고 비극적 기쁨이 어떻게 예이츠의 새로운 미학이 되는지 설명한다.
  1. SEARCH
  2. Submission : JAMS

https://yjk.jams.or.kr/

3. YSK

The Yeats Society of Korea

4. Editorial Office
    Contact Information

- Tel: +82-2-2220-4477
    - E-mail: ilhwan_y@hanyang.ac.kr