Download PDF Export Citation Korean Bibliography PMC Previewer
ISSN : 1226-4946(Print)
ISSN : 2288-5412(Online)
The Yeats Journal of Korea Vol.16 pp.121-139
DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.14354/yjk.2001.16.121

Stoicism and Thought: The Later Poetry

Youngja Choe

Abstract

The title of this essay seems to suggest the name of one particular philosophy inworld history. When we speak of ‘stoicism,’ it is the name of universal philosophy thatis a part of the education of every self-consciousness.
While it is generally admitted that Yeats is a very great poet indeed, it is not easyenough to decide in what ‘greatness’ consists. At first, I wondered whether remainedanything of to say about Yeats by the many aspects and contexts in which Yeats couldbe considered.
I came to choose the topic-stoic stature and wisdom. I found myself that these twowere so closely connected as to form one problem I must treat as a whole.
Hegel's idea of thought is as follows, when I refer to thought, the stage ofself-consciousness reaches here is the stage of thought. In other words, thought alsomeans the liberty of self-consciousness. Thus freedom and will become identified. Stoicliberty represents this identity of thought and will.
In the first place, I limit myself to the relationship between thought and will.Because Yeats who have toiled with language knows that the autonomy of the willconfer the value that “hallows” human life. In the second throughout laterpoetry-especially, The Municipal Gallery Revisited Yeats’s society is a smallcommunity of autonomous spirits. In fact it is through the will to preserve theindividual in the deed and make it meaningful. Based upon a mutual greatness and of amutual glory, the later poems about persons attempts to create a community ofautonomous individuals―“the individual who is a world.” Yeats’s humanity results inart. According to Eliot, ‘the wisdom is essential in making the poetry, and it isnecessary to apprehend it as poetry in order to profit by it as wisdom.’
The wisdom of a great poet is concealed in his work. But it is through hisdiscipline and stoic of the will and mind that Yeats could sing a song celebrating human endeavour.
Keywords :

금욕주의적 사유: 예이츠의 후기시*

최영자
한국외대

초록

1. SEARCH
  2. Submission : JAMS

https://yjk.jams.or.kr/

3. YSK

The Yeats Society of Korea

4. Editorial Office
    Contact Information